What is REDCap?
REDCap stands for Research Electronic Data Capture. CRMDA offers this secure REDCap service for funded research projects that employ CRMDA consulting services. In brief, it is a clinical database-builder and survey management tool. It is similar in nature to many online survey tools, such as Qualtrics. The difference is that REDCap is explicitly designed for randomized clinical trials and longitudinal research projects. REDCap is more security conscious and is designed for academic research.
The REDCap server is administered by CRMDA staff, technicians in the KU Information and Telecommunication Technology Center (ITTC) and KU Information Technology (IT). REDCap resides on HIPAA compliant servers that have been certified by KU Information Security.
REDCap is developed by a consortium of Vanderbilt University, the NIH, and nearly 1,000 participating international research institutions, including KU.
Advantages of REDCap as your research data capture system:
- Highest level security assurances, HIPAA compliant servers
- Automated export procedures for seamless downloads of de-identified clinical data to common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R)
- Robust user rights control; PIs manage data access among team members
- Clinical report creation and data quality checks at participant and study level
- Audit trails for tracking project changes and data exports
- Data uploads via survey or bulk file uploads
- Intuitive interface for database/survey creation
- Branching logic and calculated fields to aid in real time participant screening and enrolling criteria
- Integrated scheduling and automated survey invitations
- Dynamic Data Pulls (DDP) for the direct importing of medical records or a similar database structure to a REDCap project
- This secure web-based system allows data to be validated upon entry into standardized formats compliant with NIH reporting.