We usually hold research colloquia and software workshops on Fridays and Saturdays, but there may be variations. Please take note of the dates and times for the particular events.
Up-Coming Presentations and Workshops:
Markdown (https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown) is a new way to prepare documents. It has been growing in popularity, especially since the R packages knitr and rmarkdown were introduced. It is possible now to write markdown documents that incorporate R input and output. CRMDA has prepared an R package called "stationery" that provides eight skeleton documents and working examples prepared with markdown and/or LaTeX.
The package includes four longer documentation vignettes:
- Stationery (package overview)
- Code chunks (R code in documents"),
- R markdown (notes about R markdown and customizing it)
- HTML special features (perils and promise of HTML output)
This Workshop will address several questions listed below:
- What can markdown give us "off the shelf"?
- How can we customize documents to have distinctive look-and-feel?
- Does stationery help?
- What are the major limitations of using R markdown as a document preparation front end?
Spoiler Alerts! Stationery includes example templates for informal "guides" and more formal "reports." We have experienced many of the challenges and shortcomings which will also us to demonstrate our solutions and point to some "what not to do" examples. To demonstrate a result, we have retrofitted our HTML guide about using R's data.table package in the new markdown style: